"A jar full of love", was the exact expression used by my hubby when he took a spoon full from the mason jar and tasted the
While making ras malai (Indian dessert) from evaporated milk in instant pot, a light bulb went off in my head and I decided to give Mishti Doi a try. Lo and behold, it was a total success as not only my husband but even my kids loved it. And, it has become a regular dessert item after lunch/dinner.
What is Mishti Doi?
"Mishti" means sweet and "Doi" means yogurt. Mishti Doi is a famous sweetened yogurt from the eastern part of India (especially in W. Bengal).
What is mishti doi made of?
Traditionally, mishti doi is made by boiling and reducing the milk to make it thick and then fermenting it in earthenware. It is sweetened with sugar or jaggery.
What type of yogurt starter to use?
You can use the culture from the previous batch of homemade yogurt or also use a store-bought yogurt starter. I have tried the Yogourmet Probiotic Yogurt starter and it gives great results for both mishti doi as well as for regular yogurt. Any yogurt which has active or live cultures can be used as a yogurt starter.
How to make Mishti Doi in Instant Pot?
Instead of boiling and reducing the milk, evaporated milk can be used and it turns out great, minus the effort and hassle.
It must be heated to about 120 - 125 °F and this takes about a minute in the microwave.
Once heated, add sugar and stir it to mix it well. Next is to add the yogurt culture, t
Cover the mason jar lightly with the lids. Place it in the instant pot on yogurt mode for 8 hours.
How to serve Mishti Doi?
Other Instant Pot Indian desserts you may like
Don't forget to rate the recipe by clicking the stars. Also, pin the recipe by clicking the "Pin" button, for your future reference.
Quick and Easy Mishti Doi in Instant Pot
- Pour the evaporated milk in mason jar or glass container
- Heat the milk in microwave for 1 minute. (Food thermometer should read about 120 - 125 °F)
- Stir in the sugar until it dissolves.
- Whisk the yogurt culture and mix it in the milk at about 115 - 120 °F.
- Cover the mason jar with the lid lightly and place in the instant pot. (trivet is not needed)
- Close and lock the lid on the instant pot. (pressure knob position does not matter)
- Select "Yogurt" cycle for 8 hours.
- Once the "Yogurt" cycle is complete, garnish with some cardamom and pistachios and refrigerate before serving.
If you want to make yogurt from whole milk in mason jars, check out my recipe on how to make yogurt in mason jars without boiling milk.