"A jar full of love", was the exact expression used by my hubby when he took a spoon full from the mason jar and tasted the
While making ras malai (Indian dessert) from evaporated milk in instant pot, a light bulb went off in my head and I decided to give Mishti Doi a try. Lo and behold, it was a total success as not only my husband but even my kids loved it. And, it has become a regular dessert item after lunch/dinner.
What is Mishti Doi?
"Mishti" means sweet and "Doi" means yogurt. Mishti Doi is a famous sweetened yogurt from the eastern part of India (especially in W. Bengal).
What is mishti doi made of?
Traditionally, mishti doi is made by boiling and reducing the milk to make it thick and then fermenting it in earthenware. It is sweetened with sugar or jaggery.
This is a simple instant pot dessert recipe using 3 ingredients - evaporated milk, yogurt starter and sugar.
What type of yogurt starter to use?
You can use the culture from the previous batch of homemade yogurt or also use a store-bought yogurt starter. I have tried the Yogourmet Probiotic Yogurt starter and it gives great results for both mishti doi as well as for regular yogurt. Any yogurt which has active or live cultures can be used as a yogurt starter.
How to make Mishti Doi in Instant Pot?
Instead of boiling and reducing the milk, evaporated milk can be used and it turns out great, minus the effort and hassle.
I love making
It must be heated to about 120 - 125 °F and this takes about a minute in the microwave.
Once heated, add sugar and stir it to mix it well. Next is to add the yogurt culture, t
Cover the mason jar lightly with the lids. Place it in the instant pot on yogurt mode for 8 hours.
How to serve Mishti Doi?
Other Instant Pot Indian desserts you may like
Don't forget to rate the recipe by clicking the stars. Also, pin the recipe by clicking the "Pin" button, for your future reference.
Quick and Easy Mishti Doi in Instant Pot
- 12 oz Evaporated milk (1 can)
- 4 tablespoon Organic cane sugar
- Yogurt culture (or ½ tbsp starter from previous batch of yogurt)
- Pour the evaporated milk in mason jar or glass container
- Heat the milk in microwave for 1 minute. (Food thermometer should read about 120 - 125 °F)
- Stir in the sugar until it dissolves.
- Whisk the yogurt culture and mix it in the milk at about 115 - 120 °F.
- Cover the mason jar with the lid lightly and place in the instant pot. (trivet is not needed)
- Close and lock the lid on the instant pot. (pressure knob position does not matter)
- Select "Yogurt" cycle for 8 hours.
- Once the "Yogurt" cycle is complete, garnish with some cardamom and pistachios and refrigerate before serving.
If you want to make yogurt from whole milk in mason jars, check out my recipe on how to make yogurt in mason jars without boiling milk.
Can I use sweetened evaporated milk?
What about artificial sweetener in evaporated milk? Thanks
Alpa Jain says
Both should work, I have not tried though. I don't see any reason why it will not work.
Hi do you need water in Instapot with mason jar?
Water is not needed in the instant pot.
Surma Begum says
Hi, is the mishti doi just sweet or is it sweet and slightly tangy as well? I tried some sweet and slightly tangy doi on my trip to Bangladesh and it was so delicious. I can't buy any in the UK so I wondered if your recipe is similar to what I'm looking for. Thanks
Mishti doi is slight tangy as it uses yogurt culture. Hope this helps.