Veg cutlets are a popular tea-time snack in Indian cuisine. They are crispy on the surface and soft from the inside. My favorite cooking method for veg cutlets is the air fryer as it takes very little oil compared to cooking on the skillet or deep frying.
This Indian style veg cutlets are easy to make at home with few basic ingredients and can easily be made ahead of time for an event or stored in the freezer for later use.
Veg cutlet ingredients
Homemade veg cutlets are delicious, flavorful, and easy to make with a few ingredients commonly available in the kitchen pantry. The main ingredients are potatoes and mixed vegetables. I like to use red potatoes as they bind really well but other varieties will work too.
I like to use frozen mixed vegetables including corn, peas, green beans, and carrots. If you are using fresh ones, be sure to cut the green beans and carrots into small pieces. This veg cutlet recipe is made without onion and garlic.
Some serrano pepper, ginger paste, and spices like red chili powder, cumin powder, and coriander powder give a flavorful taste to the veg cutlets. I also like to add little dry mango powder, but if you don't have it, you can skip it or add a few drops of lime juice instead.
Before cooking, the cutlets are dipped in cornstarch slurry and then coated with breadcrumbs to give it a crispy texture on the surface. Cornstarch slurry is made by mixing cornstarch and water until there are no lumps.
Store-bought breadcrumbs like Panko or other brands work well or you can make them at home by toasting bread and then lightly blending it into fine crumbs.
How to make veg cutlets?
Making veg cutlets at home is quick and easy. The first step is to make the mixture and the second step is to air fry the cutlets after coating them with breadcrumbs. You can use Panko or any brand of breadcrumbs or even make them at home by toasting bread and then crushing it in the blender.
The potatoes and mixed vegetables are steamed so that they can be mixed well with the spices. I like to steam the peeled and cubed potatoes in the instant pot as it is really very convenient and quick.
To steam the vegetables in the instant pot, first, pour 1 cup of water in the liner. I have used the 6 qt. instant pot. Then place the vegetables and potatoes in the steamer basket and inside the liner. You may or may not need a trivet depending on the type of steamer basket.
Steam the potatoes and veggies on high-pressure mode for 5 minutes followed by 5 minutes of natural pressure release and then remove the remaining pressure manually by moving the pressure knob to the venting position until the silver pin drops.
Allow the vegetables to cool down a little and then add all the spices, salt, ginger paste, and serrano pepper. Mash everything well with a potato masher and make a soft dough-like non-sticky mixture. Divide the mixture into 8 equal parts and make patties of about 2 inches diameter.
Before air frying the cutlets, make a slurry of corn starch by mixing water and cornstarch until there are no lumps. Dip the cutlets in the slurry and then coat them with bread crumbs. Now you are ready to air fry them.
How to fry cutlets in air fryer?
Air frying is a healthy cooking method for cutlets than frying in a skillet that requires a lot more oil. I have made these cutlets in the Instant Vortex Plus air fryer.
Once the patties have been coated with breadcrumbs, air fry them in a preheated air fryer at 360 °F for about 10 minutes. Spray some oil on both sides while cooking and after 5 minutes, open the basket and flip the cutlets to ensure they are cooked evenly.
What to eat with vegetable cutlet?
Vegetable cutlets are a popular tea-time snack especially with a cup of masala chai. It is served with some tomato ketchup, tamarind dates chutney, or green cilantro chutney. You can also sprinkle some chaat masala while serving.
Vegetable cutlets can be packed for lunch boxes or can be used to make burgers. I like to use homemade burger buns to make veg cutlet burgers.
How to store cutlets in fridge?
Any leftover cutlet can be stored in the fridge for 3-4 days in an air-tight container. When you are ready to eat, simply reheat it in the air fryer for 2-3 minutes.
Cutlets can be made ahead of time for a party or an event and you can store the breaded or cooked cutlets in the fridge. On the day of the event simply air fryer them at 360 °F for 10-12 minutes.
Can you freeze breaded cutlets before cooking?
Yes, cutlets can be stored in the freezer for later use. In fact, it is best to freeze breaded cutlets before cooking in freezer-safe containers or ziplock bags. While storing, place parchment paper between the cutlet layers. This will help avoid them from sticking together and make it easy to take out a few pieces when needed.
When you are ready to serve, simply take out the desired quantity of cutlets from the freezer and air fry them at 360 °F for about 15 minutes. You can check the basket in between and spray some oil as needed.
If you enjoyed this recipe, you may also like
Don't forget to rate the recipe by clicking the stars. Also, pin the recipe by clicking the "Pin" button, for your future reference.
Veg Cutlets In Air Fryer
- 2 count Potato (red, medium, peeled and cubed)
- 1 cup Mixed Vegetable (frozen, rinsed)
Salt and Spices
- ½ teaspoon Salt (adjust to taste)
- 1 teaspoon Serrano pepper (chopped, adjust to taste)
- ½ teaspoon Ginger paste
- ¼ teaspoon Red chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon Garam masala
- ¼ teaspoon Dry mango powder (optional)
For the coating
- ½ cup Bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoon All-purpose flour
- ¼ cup Water (more for steaming vegetables)
- 1 tablespoon Oil
Steam veggies in the instant pot
- Pour 1 cup water into the instant pot liner.
- Put the cubed potatoes and mixed vegetables in the steamer basket.
- Place the steamer basket in the instant pot liner. (if needed on a trivet)
- Close and lock the lid with the pressure valve in the sealing position.
- Cook on high-pressure mode for 5 minutes. (set "keep warm" on)
- Allow pressure to release naturally for 5 minutes and then release the remaining pressure manually by moving the pressure valve to the venting position until the silver pin drops.
Make the cutlet mixture
- In a mixing bowl, add the cooked potatoes and mixed vegetables.
- Add all the ingredients from the 'salt and spices' ingredient list.
- Mash and mix everything well into a soft dough-like texture ensuring there are no potato chunks.
- Divide the mixture into 8 parts and make small patties of 2 inches diameter.
Air fry veg cutlets
- Preheat the air fryer to 360 °F.
- Make a cornstarch slurry by mixing water and cornstarch until there are no lumps.
- Dip each patty in the slurry and then coat with breadcrumbs.
- Place them in an air fryer on parchment paper and spray some oil with an oil sprayer.
- Air fry for 5 minutes.
- Flip the cutlets and spray oil on the other side.
- Air fryer for another 5 minutes.
Leave a Reply