With holidays around, I decided to make our family favorite eggless carrot cake. Usually, I have made carrot cake in the oven but this time I wanted to give a try in the bread machine.
I was really pleased with the results and went a step ahead and applied the icing as well on the cake. I really wonder how easy it is to make creative cakes in a bread machine.
Benefits of making cake in a bread machine
Baking a cake can be daunting and messy. It involves multiple steps such as mixing, transferring to a baking tray, dusting the tray, preheating oven etc., which made me think twice before attempting it.
Thanks to the bread machine, the entire process has become so simple. It just requires all ingredients to be placed in right order and selecting the right cycle.
There is absolutely no mess and cake is ready without jumping any hoops. Since owning a bread machine, I have made cakes more often and absolutely love how it turns out every time.
How to make carrot cake in Bread machine
Making carrot cake in a bread machine is simple. Just put all ingredients in the right order as per bread machine manufacturer recommendations and start the cycle.
Additional ingredients like nuts or shredded carrot in this case, can be added a few minutes before the baking phase starts. It can’t get easier than this!
Sifting of flour and dry ingredients give best results. Carrots can be grated using a hand grater or a food processor. For this recipe, I have used one large carrot so used a hand grater and also used little cinnamon powder which gives the cake its distinct flavor and taste.
Which cycle to select to make a cake
I have used both 'Cake' setting and 'Quick Bread' setting to make cake in my bread machine.
The 'Cake' setting worked well but it needed extra baking once the cycle completed.
The Quick Bread' setting didn't need additional baking and was truly a dump and go process. However it may well depend on the type/brand of the bread machine one has.
How to check if cake is done
At the end of the "Quick Bread" or "Cake" cycle, open the lid and use the universal step i.e. insert a butter knife in the center of the cake.
If it comes out clean, the cake is done else bake the cake for additional few minutes on "Bake" cycle and recheck with the butter knife to ensure it comes out clean.
When to remove the cake from the container
It is very important to allow the cake and the container to cool down for 15-20 minutes before attempting to take the cake out from the container.
Removing the cake immediately or when it is hot can easily cause it to break.
How to apply icing on the carrot cake
With an electric knife, cut the cake into 3 layers.
The cream cheese and butter must be at room temperature to allow a smooth mix. Apply the frosting on top of each layer and place the layers on top of each other. Apply frosting on top and around the cake.
Storing the carrot cake
After applying the icing on the cake, it must be refrigerated. It can be stored for 4-5 days however this delicious cake won’t last that long 🙂
You may also like these cake recipes made in the bread maker
Don't forget to rate the recipe by clicking the stars. Also, pin the recipe by clicking the "Pin" button, for your future reference.
Eggless Carrot Cake in Bread Machine
Wet ingredients for cake
Dry ingredients for cake
Add-ins for cake
- 1 cup Carrot (grated) (120 grams)
- 2 tbsp Raisins (Optional)
For the Cream cheese Frosting
- 4 oz Cream cheese (at room temperature)
- 4 tbsp Unsalted Butter (at room temperature)
- 1 cup powdered sugar (or more if needed)
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
To make carrot cake in Bread Machine
- Select and start the "Quick Bread" Cycle or Cake cycle.
- While it is mixing, ensure all flour from sides gets mixed well. Use a spatula to push down any flour on the sides of the container.
- Just about a minute before it stops mixing and starts baking, add the shredded carrots and raisins (you don't want to over mix them) and close the lid.
- Once the cycle is done, insert a butter knife or a toothpick to check if it is done. If it sticks, bake for few more minutes. If it comes out clean, the cake is done.
- Let the cake cool down in the container for 15-20 minutes.
- Remove the cake from the container and cool it on a cooling rack before icing it.
To make carrot cake in the oven
- Preheat oven to 350 °F, with baking rack in the middle level.
- Once everything is smoothly blended, gently fold in the carrots with a spatula. Do not over-mix.
- Grease an 8-inch pan with some oil and dust it with some all-purpose flour.
- Pour the cake batter into the pan and bake it in the oven at 350 °F for about 40 minutes.
- Insert a toothpick and check if it comes out clean, else bake for an additional few minutes.
- Allow the cake to cool down in the pan before removing it.
For the icing
- Allow the cake to completely cool down before icing it.
- Mix all ingredients with a hand blender until smooth and fluffy. (This takes 2-3 minutes)
- Slice the cake horizontally into 2-3 layers. Apply icing on every layer, on sides, and on the top.
- Cut the cake into pieces as desired.