Peppermint ice cream is a refreshing dessert for the holidays with a beautiful pink color. It has a cool minty flavor and can be easily made at home. This is an easy gluten-free, no-egg peppermint ice cream recipe made in the Cuisinart ice cream maker without condensed milk.
It takes only 10 minutes of prep time and can be prepared ahead of time before the event. It can be served with some candy canes or some chocolate chips.
Homemade peppermint ice cream is made of 7 ingredients and no eggs. Heavy cream, whole milk, salt, and sugar form the base of the ice cream. Candy canes, peppermint extract, and vanilla extract add flavor. Some crushed candy canes can be added for extra crunch and taste.
I have used 13 mini Sprangler's candy canes and a few to top the ice cream while freezing it. It is best to crush the candy canes or at least break them into smaller pieces so that they are easy to blend while making the ice cream mixture.
Although it may sound daunting to make this pink peppermint ice cream at home, it is in fact really very easy just like other homemade ice creams. This is a no-egg, no-cook ice cream.
The first step is to blend the milk, sugar, crushed candy canes, and a pinch of salt until the sugar and candy canes are completely dissolved. Then add the heavy cream, peppermint extract, and vanilla extract.
It is best to refrigerate the mixture for about 2 hours and allow it to chill. This helps reduce the overall churn time in the ice cream maker. Depending on the ice cream maker you have, you will have to prep the freezer bowl by freezing it for about 24 hours before churning.
I have made this peppermint stick ice cream in my Cuisinart compressor ice cream maker. If you are looking to buy an ice cream maker for your family then you can check out my post on which ice cream maker to buy and a collection of ice cream maker recipes.
Before you are ready to churn the ice cream, mix the ice cream mixture with a spatula and then transfer it into the ice cream maker bowl. Churn the peppermint ice cream for about 25 - 40 minutes until it is of soft-serve consistency.
Transfer the ice cream to a freezer-safe container and then freeze it for about 5-6 hours before serving. You can also top the ice cream with a few crushed peppermint candy before freezing.
Once the ice cream has been frozen for 5-6 hours, it is ready to serve. You can serve it with some peppermint sticks or top the ice cream with crushed candy canes, chocolate chips, or grated chocolate.
I have used the Cuisinart ICE 100 compressor ice cream maker. However, any other ice cream maker will work fine. If you have a larger capacity ice cream maker or use a freezer bowl or the salt and ice type machine, you can scale the recipe to adapt to your ice cream maker.
I love the compressor ice cream maker because there is no need to freeze the bowl and I can make batch after batch of ice creams in one day.
If you are looking to buy an ice cream maker for your family then check out this post on which ice cream maker to buy.
Homemade peppermint ice cream can last in the fridge for about a month. After about two weeks you may see tiny crystals of ice cream but the ice cream will be over by then 🙂
- If you are using a compressor machine, precooling the ice cream bowl for 5-10 minutes helps reduce the overall churning time.
- If you make batch after batch of ice creams in a compressor ice cream maker, after rinsing the bowl with water, pat dry it well. This prevents ice from forming on the outside of the bowl while churning which can make it difficult to remove from the machine.
If you enjoyed this ice cream, you may also like
Don't forget to rate the recipe by clicking the stars. Also, pin the recipe by clicking the "Pin" button, for your future reference.
Peppermint Ice Cream
- 4 count Candy cane (small)
- In a high-speed blender like Vitamix, blend milk, sugar, crushed candycanes, and a pinch of salt until sugar and candy canes are dissolved.
- Whisk on low speed using the whisk attachment of a hand blender or stand mixer until all the sugar is dissolved.
- Add vanilla extract, peppermint extract, and heavy cream.
- Mix well with a spatula or a spoon (do not whisk).
- Chill the mixture in the fridge for about 2 hours.
Churning peppermint ice cream in ice cream maker
- Stir the chilled mixture before pouring it into the ice cream machine bowl.
- Start the ice cream machine and churn the mixture for about 25 minutes.
- Ice cream will be of soft-serve consistency.
- Transfer the ice cream to a freezer-safe container.
- Add some crushed candycanes on the top.
- Freeze it for 5-6 hours before serving.