Air fryer zucchini fritters are delicious, easy to make, and a healthier option to the ones cooked on a skillet. They are loaded with all the goodness of veggies and they can be made quickly for an after school snack for the kids.
These air fryer zucchini fritters are vegan, gluten-free, egg-free, has no flour, and uses very little oil. They can be served as a snack, side dish, or an appetizer.
These zucchini fritters are vegan, gluten-free, have no-eggs, and made without all-purpose flour. It uses very few ingredients. You will need fresh zucchinis, carrot, onion, ginger, red chili powder, black pepper, and salt.
For binding you will need chickpeas flour, also known as besan or gram flour. You can adapt the taste and add more spices or herbs to enhance the flavor as per your taste.
Rinse the zucchini and carrot well and cut of their ends. Peel the carrots and then shred the zucchini and carrot separately in different bowls. There is no need to peel the skin of the zucchinis.
You can use a box grater or a food processor to shred the zucchinis and the carrot. Add some salt to the zucchini and let it rest for about 10 minutes.
Ingredients to make zucchini fritters.
Shred the zucchini with a grater.
Zucchini will release excess moisture after some time. Squeeze out as much liquid using your hands and place the squeezed shredded zucchini in a large bowl. Add the chopped onions, besan, ginger paste, red chili powder, black pepper, and the remaining salt.
Mix it gently with a fork to ensure the chickpeas flour is well incorporated and it does not have any lumps. The consistency of the mixture should be thick and you should be able to drop it with a spoon but it should not spread too much by itself. If it is runny, you can add some more chickpeas flour.
Add all the ingredients.
Mix everything well.
Preheat the air fryer to 390°F. Place a parchment parchment paper in the air fryer basket. Drop spoonfuls of batter and spread it to make fritters of about 4-5 millimeters thick.
Spray some oil on the top of the fritters and air fry them for about 8 minutes at 390°F. Flip them after 8 minutes using a spatula and then spray some cooking spray. Finally air fry them for another 4 minutes until they are golden brown.
Zucchini fritters before air frying.
Zucchini fritters after air frying.
- Serrano pepper - instead of red chili powder and black pepper, you can use chopped serrano peppers or green chilies.
- Garlic powder - you can add some garlic powder instead of ginger paste.
- Spicy - add more chili powder, black pepper, or serrano peppers to the batter to make it more spicy.
- Vegetables - you can skip the carrots and onions, or add other veggies like cabbage and green onions.
- Cheese - add grated cheddar cheese on top of the fritters after flipping them once.
- Breadcrumbs - you can add some panko breadcrumbs or homemade ones to add some crunchiness.
These zucchini fritters are delicious just like that, and you can serve them with your favorite dipping sauce, ranch dressing, tomato ketchup, sour cream, cream cheese, or green chutney. You can serve them as a side dish, snack, or as an appetizer.
There zucchini carrot fritters have been made in the 4 qt. Instant Vortex Plus air fryer. You can make them in any type of air fryer, a tray style or one with a basket.
Depending on the size of the air fryer, you may be able to make it in a single batch or multiple batches.
Zucchini fritters are best served hot when they are out from the air fryer. Any leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator for 2-3 days in airtight containers. When you are ready to eat it, you can simply reheat them in the microwave or in the air fryer for a minute or two at 350°F.
Adding a little salt to grated zucchini and leaving it for about 10 minutes helps remove excess water and prevent the batter from becoming runny.
Looking for other recipes like this? Try these:
These are my favorite dishes to serve with zucchini fritters:
Don't forget to rate the recipe by clicking the stars. Also, pin the recipe by clicking the "Pin" button, for your future reference.
Air Fryer Zucchini Fritters
- Food Processor (or hand grater)
- 2 medium Zucchini (grated)
- 1 medium Carrot (peeled, grated)
- ⅓ cup Onion (chopped)
- 1 cup Besan (chickpeas flour) (92 grams)
- 1 teaspoon Salt (to taste)
- ⅛ teaspoon Red chili powder (to taste)
- ⅛ teaspoon Black Pepper (to taste)
- 1 teaspoon Ginger (paste or minced)
- 1 teaspoon Oil (oil sprayer)
- Grate zucchini and carrots separately using a hand grater or a food processor.2 medium Zucchini, 1 medium Carrot
- In a medium bowl, add zucchini and mix some salt.
- Let it rest for 10 minutes.
- Using your hands, squeeze out all the water from the grated zucchini.
- Add the carrots, onion, besan, remaining salt, ginger, and red chili powder to the bowl with squeezed zucchini.⅓ cup Onion, 1 cup Besan, 1 teaspoon Salt, ⅛ teaspoon Red chili powder, ⅛ teaspoon Black Pepper, 1 teaspoon Ginger, 1 medium Carrot
- Mix well until you have a thick batter of dropping consistency.
- Preheat air fryer to 390°F.
- Place a parchment paper in the air fryer basket.
- Spray some oil on the parchment paper with an oil sprayer or use a basting brush to apply it evenly.
- Pour about 2 tablespoons of batter and make it about 4-5 millimeters thick with the help of a spoon.
- Make as many fritters as you can depending on the size of your air fryer.
- Spray oil on top of fritters using an oil sprayer.
- Air fry for 8 minutes at 390°F.
- Flip the fritters with a spatula.
- Spray oil using an oil sprayer (optional).
- Air fry for 4 minutes at 390°F until golden brown.
- Remove the fritters with a spatula.
Leave a Reply