Buttermilk bread is a delicious and flavorful bread. It is easy to make and can be used for your morning toast, making sandwiches, and grilled cheese for school lunches. It is a great alternative to basic white bread.
This is an easy buttermilk bread recipe made in the bread machine using all-purpose flour. The bread machine does all the tasks of mixing, kneading, rising, and finally baking the bread.
The buttermilk bread requires only a few basic ingredients, easily available in the pantry. Bread flour, sugar, salt, yeast, and oil are what you will need along with buttermilk.
The main ingredient is buttermilk. You can use store-bought one or make it at home. Buttermilk is the by-product of making cultured butter. If you do make cultured butter or cultured ghee at home, you can use the buttermilk obtained from that process.
Instant yeast or bread machine yeast will work well for this recipe.
Once you have all the ingredients, it is very easy to make this buttermilk bread recipe in the bread machine. It is best to weigh the flour using a digital food scale for consistent results. Measuring flour using a measuring cup is inconsistent and can add more flour than needed resulting in very dense bread.
Depending on your bread machine, put the wet and dry ingredients in the bread pan based on the manufacturer's instructions. I have added buttermilk, oil, sugar, salt, all-purpose flour, and instant yeast.
Now select the basic white bread cycle and the medium crust setting. Select the loaf size to 1.5 lb and start the cycle. The bread machine will do the rest of the job of mixing, kneading, rising, and finally baking.
I usually remove the paddle after the final kneading is done and then allow the final rise followed by the baking phase. This makes only a tiny hole at the bottom of the bread instead of a bigger hole created by the paddle.
Once the bread is baked, remove the pan from the bread machine and remove the bread. It might need a little shaking and persuasion, so be careful, as the pan would be very hot. Once out, allow the bread to cool down completely before slicing it with an electric knife or a serrated bread knife.
This bread machine buttermilk bread is very easy to make and uses only 6 ingredients. There are a few substitutions that can work well in case you do not have all the ingredients.
- All-purpose flour - instead of bread flour, you can use all-purpose flour.
- Yeast - Instant yeast or bread machine yeast works fine in the bread machine. You can read more on which yeast to use in a bread machine.
- Butter - Unsalted butter can be used instead of oil.
You can easily adapt this recipe to your liking and make it to your family's liking.
- Dinner rolls - this recipe can easily be adapted to make dinner rolls. Make the dough using the dough cycle and then roll them into dough balls and bake them after a final rise.
- Bake in the oven - You can use the dough cycle and make the dough and then bake it in the oven for about 20-25 minutes at 350°F.
I have made this buttermilk bread in the 2 lb. Hamilton Beach Artisan bread maker using the basic white bread cycle. This recipe should work well in any bread machine which can make a 1.5 lb loaf.
Once you remove the bread from the bread machine pan, allow it to cool down completely on a cooling rack, and then slice it with an electric knife or a serrated bread knife.
Buttermilk bread can be stored at room temperature for 4-5 days. It is best to keep it in a bread box or in an air-tight container. It is not recommended to store the bread in the fridge as it loses its moisture and becomes dry.
If you want to store the bread for a longer time, then slice the bread and then store it in the freezer. When you need them, just take out the required number of slices and toast them in a toaster.
Measuring the flour with a measuring cup can give inconsistent results as the cup can be tightly packed while scooping the flour. So it is best to weigh the flour for a consistent result.
If you enjoyed this recipe, you may also like
Don't forget to rate the recipe by clicking the stars. Also, pin the recipe by clicking the "Pin" button, for your future reference.
Bread Machine Buttermilk Bread
- 1 ⅓ cup Buttermilk (microwave 20 seconds)
- 4 tablespoon Oil
- 2 tablespoon Organic cane sugar
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 420 grams Bread flour (3 ½ cup or all-purpose flour)
- 7 grams Bread machine yeast (2 ¼ tsp or instant yeast)
- Place the wet and dry ingredients in the order required by your bread machine.
- Close the lid and select the "Basic" cycle, 1.5 lb size, and the preferred crust setting to "medium".
- The bread will be ready once the cycle completes.
- Remove the loaf by inverting the pan and shaking it.
- Place the bread on a cooling rack and allow it to cool down.
- Once the bread has cooled down completely, slice it with a serrated bread knife or an electric knife.
- Sifting and weighing the flour helps make the bread soft. Sifting is optional, however, weighing the flour gives consistent results.
- Once the bread is baked, remove it from the container and place it on a rack to cool. Leaving the bread in the container to cool down can make it moist.
If I decide to bake it in the oven, what size loaf pan do you use??
Alpa Jain says
A 9.5-inch by 5-inch loaf pan works well for baking it in the oven.
Hope this helps.
Kathy Bolin says
Easy and Great!
Alpa Jain says
I am glad to know you enjoyed the recipe 🙂