Dinner rolls are known as "pav" in India and they are served with fast food items like "Pav bhaji" or enjoyed with tea time snacks like "Vada pav" or "Daabeli". Light and fluffy dinner rolls are easy to make at home using a bread machine and it requires least effort plus you can have control of what ingredients are being used.
This is an easy recipe to make dinner rolls with no milk, no egg, no milk-powder. Right! These are vegan dinner rolls made in the bread machine.
What are vegan dinner rolls made of?
It is absolutely easy to make dairy-free dinner rolls with no-egg in the bread machine. To make light and fluffy dinner rolls at home in the bread maker you will need basic pantry ingredients like bread flour, yeast, sugar, salt, oil, and water.
I have successfully made dinner rolls with King Arthur all purpose flour will instead of bread flour. Instant yeast or bread machine yeast works well in the bread machine. You can read more about which yeast to use in a bread machine.
To brush the dinner rolls after baking vegan butter can be applied, with the help of a basting brush, on the top of the rolls once they are ready.
How to make dough for rolls in a bread machine?
I have made these dinner rolls in Hamilton Beach bread machine. However, all of the bread machines have the "Dough" cycle. The best part is that you only need to put all the ingredients (water, oil, sugar, salt, bread flour and instant yeast) in the container and start the "Dough" cycle which will mix, knead and get the dough through its first rise.
How to make fluffy dinner rolls?
The key to making light and fluffy dinner rolls is to make a perfect dough. It is also highly recommended to weigh the flour using a food scale instead of measuring by a cup to ensure consistency.
Sifting the flour also helps make the flour aerated which helps to make light dinner rolls. However, it is optional. You can also refer to my blog where I have elaborated on the process of making bread dough in a bread machine.
How do you shape dinner rolls?
Once the dough is ready, place it on a lightly floured surface so it is easy to work and does not feel sticky while shaping. Divide the dough into pieces using a dough pastry scraper cutter or a pizza cutter and roll them into dough balls.
An easy way to roll the balls to get a smooth surface is to tuck all ends of the dough piece on one side so make the other side is smooth. For making even size rolls, you can even weigh every dough piece (about 37-38 grams) and then roll into a ball.
How to proof rolls in the oven?
In colder temperatures, the oven is very useful for proving dough. Turn the oven on “warm” mode for 5 minutes and place the tray in the oven for the second rise. Make sure to turn the oven off after 5 minutes.
How long do you proof rolls in the oven?
Place the shaped rolls to proof in the warm oven to rise for about an hour and a half. Cover the dough balls with another tray so that they do not dry while proving.
How to bake bread rolls in oven?
Remove the tray out from oven if the dinner rolls are placed inside it for proving. Preheat the oven to 350 deg F. Bake the dinner rolls for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
Once they’re baked, remove the tray from the oven using oven mittens and apply some butter using a basting brush, while they are hot, for a nice shiny glaze.
Don't forget to rate the recipe by clicking the stars. Also, pin the recipe by clicking the "Pin" button, for your future reference.
Vegan Dinner Rolls | Bread Machine Recipe
- Convection Oven
- 1 cup Water microwave 30 seconds
- 4 tablespoon Oil
- 1 tablespoon Butter vegan butter can be used
Making dough in bread machine
- Add the ingredients (water, oil, sugar, salt, flour, and yeast) in the bread machine container in the order recommended by your bread machine manufacturer.
- Close the lid and select the "Dough" cycle
- Once "Dough" cycle completes, remove the dough on a lightly floured surface and knead for a few seconds.
Shaping the dough
- Divide the dough into 20 equal pieces.
- Roll each of the pieces into a smooth ball and place them on a baking tray, an inch apart.
Second or Final rise
- For the second rise, cover the tray with another tray and place in a warm place or in an oven. Optionally, start the oven on "Warm" mode for 5 minutes and then turn it off.
- After about 90 minutes the balls will be through its second rise.
Baking in oven
- Bake them in a preheated oven at 350 °F for about 20 minutes or until they turn golden brown.
- Remove the tray from the oven. For a shiny glaze, apply some butter on the dinner rolls while they are hot.
- This recipe can also be modified by replacing half cup water with milk.
- It is best to weigh the flour using a food scale for best and consistent results.
- Dough can also be kneaded in a stand mixer and then proved in the instant pot or oven for about 1 hour before shaping into rolls.
- Check out this post for detailed instructions on how to knead dough in stand mixer and proof it in the instant pot.
- Follow the remaining steps starting from "shaping the dough"