Making bread at home is one of the best things I have learned over years. However, making dough is one of the biggest challenge. Once you make the dough right then you can make your favorite baked goods at home. Bread machine is my favorite when it comes to making bread dough.
How does a bread maker work?
There is a lot of cycles on the bread machine like white bread, French bread, dough, gluten-free, jam, cake, and more. You have to select the right cycle and other options like loaf size and crust. Just start the machine and it will do the rest!
Well, yes it is that easy but for every cycle, you must put the right ingredients in the right order and measurements to ensure you get the perfect end result!
How to make dough in bread machine?
Depending on the bread machine you have, you will have to place the ingredients in the order recommended by the manufacturer. Some require wet ingredients first and some dry ones.
A bread maker usually has the "Dough" cycle which does all the work of mixing, kneading, resting and giving the dough its first rise. You can prepare dough for a variety of bread like dinner rolls, naan, pizza base, croissants, burger buns and more.
Once you make the dough, it is then punched down to remove all air, kneaded for a few seconds, rolled into the desired shape and size; and allowed to rest for a final rise. After the final rise, it is baked in the oven.
How long is the dough cycle on a bread machine?
It would depend on the bread machine brand and model but generally the dough cycle would be around 1.5 hours. In the initial 15-30 minutes the bread machine kneads the dough and then it rests which allows the dough to go through the first rise.
How to make homemade bread soft?
For a soft bread, sifting the flour is a key as it aerates the flour. Also, weighing the flour with a food scale helps in getting consistent results every time. When measured using cups, there are chances of adding more flour than needed by the recipe.
Bread machine yeast and instant yeast work well in a bread machine so you can use either. Depending on your bread maker, active dry yeast may work well too. Read more about which yeast to use in a bread machine.
Bread machine dough cycle recipes you will enjoy
Don't forget to rate the recipe by clicking the stars. Also, pin the recipe by clicking the "Pin" button, for your future reference.
How To Make Bread Dough in Bread Machine
- Depending on your bread machine manufacturer's instructions, place the wet and dry ingredients, in the required order (wet first and dry later or vice versa), in the bread machine pan.
- Close the lid and start the "Dough" cycle.
- Once the "Dough" cycle is complete, the dough has got its first rise and is ready for use.
- Remove the dough from the container and place it on a lightly floured surface and knead it for a few seconds.
- Shape and use the dough for making your favorite bread recipe. (linked some in the notes)
- Weigh the flour using a digital food scale for consistent results.
- If the dough is sticky, use additional flour while kneading.
- Read more about which yeast to use in a bread machine