Focaccia bread is a flavorful bread made with 5 ingredients. It has a chewy and crusty texture on the outside and is soft inside. It is served as a side with soups, dipping oil, and can also be used for making sandwiches.
- What is focaccia bread?
- Rosemary focaccia bread ingredients
- Is focaccia bread typically vegan?
- How to make focaccia in a bread maker?
- How to bake focaccia?
- What do you eat focaccia bread with?
- How long will focaccia stay fresh?
- Can you freeze focaccia bread?
- How do you defrost focaccia bread?
- 📖 Recipe
- 💬 Comments
What is focaccia bread?
Focaccia bread is a popular flat Italian bread and is pronounced as fuh·kaa·chuh. It is seasoned with herbs and oil and also decorated with vegetables.
It has a chewy and hard crust and is soft inside. This texture makes it perfect for making sandwiches or serving as a side with soup or with dipping oils.
Focaccia bread is different than pizza. Pizza is made from the dough after rolling it and applying the toppings and cheese. Focaccia on the other hand undergoes a second or final rise before it is seasoned and baked in the oven.
Rosemary focaccia bread ingredients
Focaccia bread would be absolutely incomplete without extra virgin olive oil that is used to make the dough as well as drizzled generously before baking it in the oven.
Is focaccia bread typically vegan?
The main ingredients for rosemary focaccia bread are all-purpose flour, instant yeast, oil, salt, water and rosemary for flavor. Focaccia bread is typically vegan as there is really no need to add butter or any other non-vegan ingredient.
How to make focaccia in a bread maker?
A bread maker makes it very easy to make rosemary focaccia bread. The bread machine does all the tasks of mixing, kneading, and getting the dough through its first rise. Then the dough is shaped and allowed to rise for the final time before baking in the oven.
To make the focaccia bread dough in the bread machine, place all the wet and dry ingredients (all-purpose flour, water, sugar, salt, and instant yeast) in the pan in the order recommended by the bread machine manufacturer.
Select and start the dough cycle of the bread maker and let it complete. This can take 1 - 1.5 hours depending on your bread machine. The dough cycle will mix, knead, and get the dough through its first rise.
Grease an 8-inch baking pan with oil. Remove the dough from the bread machine pan once the dough cycle is complete.
Flatten the dough with your palm and fingers to allow it to cover the pan along its sides using some oil if needed. If it becomes difficult to spread, then allow it to rest for 5-10 minutes and try again.
Cover the pan and allow the dough to rise for the final time for about an hour till it doubles in volume. If you want to speed up the process you can warm the oven for about 5 minutes and then keep the pan covered in the oven for the final rise.
How to bake focaccia?
Once the focaccia dough has risen in volume, with the help of your fingers make lots of dimples in the dough. The dimples should be deep and should reach the base of the pan if possible.
Drizzle some extra virgin olive oil on the dough. Ensure that the oil gets into the dimples. Sprinkle some fresh rosemary leaves and sea salt crystals.
I have just made rosemary focaccia bread, however, if you like you can also decorate the focaccia bread with a garden pattern with vegetables like bell pepper, onions, olives, and cherry tomatoes.
Bake the focaccia in a preheated oven at 400 °F for about 25 minutes. Once baked, remove the focaccia bread from the oven and from the pan. Place it on a cooling rack and allow it to cool down completely before slicing it.
What do you eat focaccia bread with?
It is also perfect for making sandwiches or grilled sandwiches. You can also serve it as a side dish with your meals.
How long will focaccia stay fresh?
Focaccia bread stays fresh for about 2 days at room temperature. I personally like to store it in the Dutch oven with the lid on. If you want to store it longer, it is best to freeze it.
When stored longer than a day, the crust of focaccia bread might become a little softer than it is when freshly baked. I just reheat it in the oven at 375 °F for 3-4 minutes to make it crusty before serving or using it.
Can you freeze focaccia bread?
It is best to slice or cut the focaccia bread into pieces before freezing it. You can just take out the amount of bread you need when you are ready to use it again.
How do you defrost focaccia bread?
If you enjoyed this recipe, you may also like
- 15+ Vegan bread machine recipes
- Sourdough bread
- Naan bread
- French bread
- Cheesy garlic pull aparts
- White bread
Don't forget to rate the recipe by clicking the stars. Also, pin the recipe by clicking the "Pin" button, for your future reference.
Focaccia - Bread Machine Recipe
- 1 cup Water
- 1 tablespoon Olive oil extra virgin
Making Foccacia bread dough in the bread maker
- Place the wet and dry ingredients in the bread machine pan as per your bread machine manufacturer's instructions. (Some bread machines need wet ingredients first and some need dry).
- Select and start the dough cycle.
- Once the dough cycle is complete, remove the dough from the bread machine pan.
- Grease an 8-inch baking pan with some oil.
- Place the dough in the baking pan and gently press it to cover the pan till the edges.
- Cover the baking pan with a lid or plate and keep it in a warm place until it doubles in volume. (about an hour)
- Level the baking rack to the middle level.
- Preheat the oven to 400 °F.
Bake Foccacia bread in the oven
- Uncover the dough and with the help of your fingers, make deep holes in the dough.
- Drizzle oil, rosemary and sea salt crystals on the dough.
- Once the oven is preheated to 400 °F, bake the focaccia bread for 25 minutes.
- Once Foccacia bread is baked, remove it from the oven and transfer the bread to a cooling rack.
- Allow the bread to cool completely before slicing it with a serrated knife.
- It is best to weigh the flour using a food scale for best and consistent results.
- Dough can also be kneaded in a stand mixer and then proved in the instant pot or oven for about 1 hour before shaping into rolls.
- Check out this post for detailed instructions on how to knead dough in stand mixer and proof it in the instant pot.
- Follow the remaining steps starting from "final rise".