Tomato soup is pretty versatile in the sense that it can be made with canned, roasted, or fresh tomatoes. Below is an easy instant pot recipe, it is vegan, gluten-free, and made with fresh tomatoes. It is comfort food for the winter and can be made in under 30 minutes.
What to put in tomato soup?
Fresh ripe tomatoes, few vegetables, and herbs like rosemary to enhance the flavor are all it takes to make the tomato soup. Here is a complete list of ingredients that go into making this comforting soup.
Vegetables and seasoning
- Bell pepper
- Black Pepper
- Vegetable stock
For cornstach slurry
- Corn starch
How do I make tomato soup from scratch?
To make tomato soup from scratch you need fresh tomatoes and few fresh vegetables like celery, carrot, and bell pepper which enhance the flavor of the soup.
How to make tomato soup in instant pot?
To make this vegetarian tomato soup at home, first, heat a little bit of oil in the instant pot on saute mode and 'normal' setting. Saute onions and garlic in the hot oil until onions are translucent. Finally, add all the remaining ingredients (except for cornstarch slurry) and pressure cook on high-pressure mode.
Taste the soup and adjust it as per liking by adding some salt, pepper, or sugar as needed. Adding a little bit of sugar enhances tomato soup's taste.
How long to cook tomato soup?
To make tomato soup in an instant pot, pressure cook all the ingredients on high pressure mode for 5 minutes with the release valve in sealing position. Allow the pressure to release naturally for 10 minutes and then release the remaining pressure manually.
How do you thicken tomato soup?
For a vegan tomato soup, you can thicken the tomato soup by adding cornstarch slurry. Ensure that the soup is hot before adding the cornstarch slurry by turning on the 'saute' mode.
Prepare the cornstarch slurry by mixing cornstarch with water (cold) and add it to the soup. Give the tomato soup a good mix, this should thicken the consistency. Press the 'cancel' button on the instant pot to come out of 'saute' mode. The soup is now ready for serving.
What do you top tomato soup with?
Tomato soup can be topped with a tablespoon of heavy cream (non-vegan), croutons, oyster crackers, shredded cheese or sprinkle with some parmesan cheese (non-vegan). You can also use some basil leaves for garnishing while serving.
What goes well with tomato soup?
Tomato soup can be served as an appetizer or as a starter. Grilled cheese sandwiches served with fresh tomato soup make a satisfying and comforting meal, especially during the chilly winter days. You can also serve it with French bread.
How long can you store tomato soup in fridge?
Tomato soup can be stored in the refrigerator for 3-4 days in an airtight container. When you are ready to eat, simply reheat the soup in the instant pot, cooktop, or in microwave.
Don't forget to check out these instant pot dinner recipes
Don't forget to rate the recipe by clicking the stars. Also, pin the recipe by clicking the "Pin" button, for your future reference.
Instant Pot Tomato Soup - Vegan
- 1 lb Tomatoes
- ½ cup Onions (chopped)
- 2 cloves Garlic (crushed, or minced)
- ⅓ cup Bell pepper (chopped)
- 1 stalk Celery (diced)
- 1 large Carrot (diced)
- 1 teaspoon Organic cane sugar
- 3 cup Vegetable stock
Oil, salt and spices
For cornstarch slurry
- ½ tablespoon Corn starch
- 2 tablespoon Water
- 2 tablespoon Heavy Cream (optional)
Make tomato soup in instant pot
- Turn the instant pot on saute mode on normal setting
- Once the instant pot is hot, add oil and allow the oil to become hot.
- Add onions, bayleaf and garlic and saute until the onions become translucent.
- Add all the other ingredients from "For Soup" section and give it a mix.
- Lock the instant pot lid, select cancel to come out of saute mode.
- Pressure cook on high setting for 5 minutes with the release valve in sealing position and "keep warm" setting on.
- Allow the pressure to release naturally for 10 minutes and then release the remaining pressure by moving the release valve in venting position until the silver pin drops.
- Remove the bayleaf and with an immersion hand blender, blend into a smooth soup.
- Optionally, strain the soup using a strainer.
You may also like these 20+ Indian instant pot kid-friendly vegetarian recipes.