Butterscotch ice cream is a very popular Indian flavor ice cream. It has a delicious caramel taste with crunchy texture. It is a perfect ice cream to enjoy it during summer or make it for special occasions.
Though it may sound difficult to make it at home, it is really very easy. This is an easy recipe to make a no egg butterscotch ice cream in the Cuisinart ice cream maker.
This homemade Indian butterscotch ice cream requires very few ingredients. You will need the same ingredients like vanilla ice cream for the ice cream base including heavy cream, whole milk, salt, sugar, and vanilla extract.
Usually it is difficult to find the butterscotch essence in the grocery stores, but if you can find it, you can use butterscotch essence instead of vanilla extract.
For the butterscotch flavor, a praline made with organic cane sugar, cashew nuts, and butter is added. It has a toffee taste and a perfect crunch with every bite of ice cream. If you are wondering if butterscotch chips will work here, they will not.
This Indian butterscotch ice cream recipe with no eggs is easy to make at home. The first step is to make the praline and then the vanilla ice cream base. The base is churned in the ice cream maker and then crushed praline is added to it.
To make the praline, add sugar to a heavy bottom pan and heat it on medium heat. There is no need to use a spatula to stir or mix it to melt the sugar. If needed you can swirl the pan to evenly melt the sugar. Let the sugar melt slowly and you will see it become golden brown in color. This means the sugar is caramelized.
Ingredients for praline.
Sugar starts melting.
Now quickly turn off the heat and take the pan away from heat and add butter and mix it well. Immediately add cashew pieces and mix well so that they are well coated with the caramelized sugar.
Transfer the mixture onto a plate lined with parchment paper and let it cool down completely.
Sugar melted completely
After mixing butter and cashews, transfer to parchment paper.
Once the praline cools down completely, crush it coarsely in a blender like Vitamix using dry jar. You can make it fine also if you do not prefer crunchy texture.
Keep the praline on the side and now blend the whole milk, sugar, and salt in a medium size bowl until all the sugar has dissolved. Add the heavy cream and vanilla extract or butterscotch essence and give it a quick stir.
Ice cream base is ready.
Churn ice cream.
Depending on your ice cream maker, churn the ice cream for about 25 minutes or as per manufacturer's instructions. Just about 5 minutes before the ice cream is done churning, add the crushed praline to the ice cream, you can reserve some to add later while freezing.
Once done churning, ice cream will be of soft-serve consistency. You can enjoy the butterscotch ice cream straight from the ice cream maker or to make it firmer, freeze it in a freezer safe container for 5-6 hours. While transferring to the freezer safe container, you can add some reserved praline.
Add praline and continue churning.
Enjoy butterscotch ice cream after freezing it.
Butterscotch ice cream tastes like toffee granules swirled into vanilla ice cream. It has a creamy texture.
To make vegan butterscotch ice cream you can make a vegan ice cream base and then follow the same process to add the praline.
You can use butterscotch essence instead of vanilla extract, though it may be difficult to find in the grocery stores.
For making the cashew praline, I used a heavy bottom skillet. To blend the praline, a high-speed blender like Vitamix dry jar.
An immersion hand blender or a stand mixer or hand mixer will work well for making the ice cream base. I have used the 1.5 qt. Cuisinart ICE-100 ice cream maker to churn the ice cream. This recipe makes about 1 quart of butterscotch ice cream and can be scaled based on your ice cream maker capacity.
If you are looking to buy an ice cream maker, check out this post on which ice cream maker to buy.
Homemade butterscotch ice cream can be stored in the freezer in an airtight container for about a month before you start seeing some tiny ice crystals forming on the surface of the ice cream.
- While making the praline, there is no need to stir the sugar, just let it melt.
- Once the sugar melts, take it off the heat else the sugar can get overcooked and burn.
- If you are using a compressor ice cream maker, you can pre-cool the bowl for 5 minutes before putting the mixture. This will speed up the churning process.
Looking for other recipes like this? Try these:
These are my favorite dishes to serve with butterscotch ice cream:
Don't forget to rate the recipe by clicking the stars. Also, pin the recipe by clicking the "Pin" button, for your future reference.
Butterscotch Ice Cream
- 2 cups Heavy cream
- 1 cup Milk (whole)
- ½ cup Organic cane sugar
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla extract
- 1 pinch Salt
For praline (add-ins)
- ⅓ Cup Organic cane sugar
- 1 tablespoon Butter (unsalted)
- ¼ cup Cashews (raw, unsalted, chopped)
- Heat a skillet on medium-low heat.
- Add sugar and let it melt slowly. (there is no need to stir)⅓ Cup Organic cane sugar
- Once all the sugar has melted, caramelized, and it becomes golden brown, take it off the flame.
- Add butter and mix well.1 tablespoon Butter
- Add chopped cashews and coat them well with the melted sugar.¼ cup Cashews
- Transfer to a plate and allow it to cool down completely.
- In a blender, blend it into a coarse powder, butterscotch praline is now ready.
Making ice cream base
- In a mixing bowl, add milk, salt, and sugar.1 cup Milk, ½ cup Organic cane sugar, 1 pinch Salt
- Whisk on low speed using the whisk attachment of a hand blender or stand mixer until all the sugar is dissolved.
- Add vanilla extract and heavy cream.1 teaspoon Vanilla extract, 2 cups Heavy cream
- Mix well with a spatula or a spoon (do not whisk).
Churning butterscotch ice cream in the ice cream maker
- Pour the mixture into the ice cream machine bowl.
- Start the ice cream machine and churn the mixture for about 25 minutes.
- After about 20 minutes, add the praline and continue churning for the remaining time.
- Ice cream will be of soft-serve consistency.
- Transfer the ice cream to a freezer-safe container.
- Freeze it for 5-6 hours before serving.
Leave a Reply