Black chickpea curry is a very popular Indian dish and served for lunch, dinner or, brunch.
Ingredients to make black chana
The main ingredient is of course kala chana or black chickpea which is easily available in Indian grocery stores. Here is a complete list of ingredients
- Kala chana (soaked)
- Ginger garlic paste (you can also use homemade ginger and garlic paste)
- Serrano peppers (optional)
- Cumin seeds
- Cinnamon stick
- Bay leaf
- Dry red whole chili
- Corriander powder
- Cumin powder
- Garam Masala powder
- Turmeric Powder
How to cook black chickpeas?
Soaking kala chana
Kala chana, just like other beans can be cooked dry or by soaking for 8-10 hours. I personally prefer soaking the beans as it reduces overall cooking time. It also helps clean the beans thoroughly and helps avoid gas/bloating after eating.
To soak kala chana, rinse it thoroughly with water and then soak it in a container by adding about 3 times the amount of water. In about 8-10 hours they will be well soaked and also increase in size.
Cooking kala chana in instant pot
Once the instant pot is hot, add some oil. Once the oil is hot, add the cumin seeds.
You can check if the oil is hot by just putting a few cumin seeds and they should crackle immediately else give the oil to heat for some more time.
Continue to saute for a few minutes until the mixture is well cooked and starts oozing out oil. This can take 3-5 minutes.
Now add water and deglaze the pot with the help of a spatula. Add the soaked kala chana (discard any water) and give it a good mix.
Pressure cook on high pressure mode for 15 minutes with release valve in sealing position. Once done let the pressure release naturally.
Serving suggestions for kala chana curry
Kala chana curry goes well as lunch, brunch or dinner item. It can be served with rice, poori (puffy Indian bread) or paratha (Indian flat bread).
Meal planning and storing suggestions
Like all beans, kala chana masala stores well in the refrigerator for 5-7 days and can be frozen for upto a month.
Other beans recipes you may like
Don't forget to rate the recipe by clicking the stars. Also, pin the recipe by clicking the "Pin" button, for your future reference.
Instant Pot Kala Chana | Black Chickpea Curry
Soaking kala chana
- Soak kala chana for 8-10 hours in about 3 cups of water.
- Discard the water before cooking.
Blend tomato onion
- In a blender or Vitamix blend tomatoes, onion and serrano pepper.
Cook kala chana in instant pot
- Turn the instant pot on saute mode on normal setting
- Once hot, add oil.
- Once oil is hot, add the cumin seeds, red chili, bay leaf, cinnamon stick, star anise and saute for a few seconds.
- Add the blended tomato, onion and serrano peppers and ginger garlic paste and mix well.
- Add corriander powder, cumin powder, turmeric powder, salt and garam masala.
- Continue to saute with a spatula for about 3-5 minutes or until it releases oil and is well cooked.
- Add water and deglaze the pot with the spatula and turn off saute mode.
- Add the soaked black chana and mix it well and lock the lid with valve in sealing position.
- Turn the Pressure mode (or manual) on high for 15 minutes.
- Once done, let the pressure release naturally.
You may also like these 20+ Indian instant pot kid-friendly vegetarian recipes.