Phyllo shells are great for making bite-size appetizers for parties, potlucks, or any event. They are great for making Indian chaat which is mouth-smacking and a crowd-pleaser dish.
If you are looking for no-bake phyllo cup appetizers that can be served cold, this Indian chaat is one of the best and easiest options.
To make phyllo cups Indian chaat, you will need phyllo cups. I have used the Athens brand phyllo shells. For the filling, you will need green mung beans, soaked black chickpeas, potatoes, Indian chutneys - sweet chutney and cilantro chutney, sev, and chaat masala.
Close and lock the lid and pressure cook for 12 minutes on high-pressure mode. Allow the pressure to release naturally for 10 minutes and then release the remaining pressure manually by moving the pressure release knob to the venting position.
Discard the water and peel and cut the potatoes into small cubes. Allow the mung beans and black chickpeas to cool down before making the filling.
In a medium size mixing bowl, add the black chickpeas, mung beans, cubed potatoes, chopped onions, green chutney, sweet chutney, salt, and chaat masala. Mix everything well and adjust the ingredients as per your taste.
Bake the phyllo cups in a baking tray in the oven at 350°F for about 3-4 minutes. Take them out of the oven and allow them to cool down. Add a spoonful of the mixture to each phyllo cup.
Top the shells with some thin sev and garnish them with pomegranate seeds. Phyllo cups Indian chaat is ready to serve to a crowd!
You can also make a quick version, aloo chana chaat by skipping the mung beans. You can also garnish with some chopped cilantro and skip the pomegranate seeds if you do not have them.
This phyllo cup appetizer is a true crowd-pleaser and perfect to serve for parties, potlucks, or when you need to feed a crowd.
To make it spicy, you can also add some finely chopped serrano pepper or make the cilantro chutney spicier.
I have cooked the potatoes, black chickpeas, and mung beans in the 6 qt. Instant Pot.
The filling for the chaat can be stored in the fridge for 2-3 days. You can make it ahead of time for the event or store any leftovers for later use.
When you are ready to eat, keep it on the counter for about 30-45 minutes until it is at room temperature, and then make the phyllo cup chaat.
If you enjoyed this recipe, you may also like
These are my favorite dishes to serve with phyllo cups Indian chaat:
Don't forget to rate the recipe by clicking the stars. Also, pin the recipe by clicking the "Pin" button, for your future reference.
Phyllo Cups Appetizer - Indian Chaat
- 60 Phyllo cups (4 pack, Athens brand)
- 2 cup Water
For the stuffing
- ½ cup Bhel Sev (thin gram noodles)
- 2 tablespoon Pomegranate seeds (for garnishing)
- 2 tablespoon Cilantro (chopped, for garnishing)
Cooking potatoes, mung beans, and black chickpeas
- Place the mung beans and black chickpeas (discard the water used for soaking) in the instant pot liner.½ cup Mung beans, ½ cup Black chickpeas
- Pour 2 cups of water into the liner.2 cup Water
- Place a trivet inside the liner and put the potatoes on it.2 Potatoes
- Close and lock the lid.
- Pressure cook on high-pressure mode for 12 minutes with the pressure release knob in the sealing position.
- Once done let the pressure release naturally for 10 minutes and then do a quick release.
Making the chaat filling
- Discard the water and allow the beans and black chickpeas to cool down.
- Peel and cube the potatoes into a small sizes.
- In a mixing bowl, add the mung beans, black chickpeas, potatoes, and all the ingredients from the "for the stuffing" list.⅓ cup Sweet Chutney, ⅓ cup Green Chutney, ½ teaspoon Chaat Masala, ⅓ cup Onion, 1 teaspoon Salt
Making phyllo cup appetizer
- Bake the phyllo cups for 3-4 minutes at 350°F as per directions on the package.60 Phyllo cups
- Allow them to cool down a little.
- In each phyllo cup, put a tablespoon of the filling.
- Put some thin gram noodles (sev) and garnish with chopped cilantro and optionally with some pomegranate seeds.½ cup Bhel Sev, 2 tablespoon Pomegranate seeds