Fresh apples resemble the fall season, and when you go apple picking, you are on the lookout for different apple recipes. This mulled apple cider is our family favorite and even kids love it!
Mulled apple cider or spiced apple cider is a hot, sweet, and spiced beverage made with fresh apples, and citrus fruits. It is one of the comforting drinks you can sip during cooler fall days sitting by the fireplace.
Spiced apple cider is absolutely soothing and the fruit flavor perfectly complements the warmth and aroma of the spices.
Mulled apple cider can be easily made in the instant pot in a matter of minutes with very little effort. It is a perfect party beverage that you can make ahead of time and keep warm in the instant pot.
What is mulled apple cider made of?
Mulled apple cider is made with fresh apples, citrus fruits like oranges, and spices like cinnamon, cloves, ginger, and star anise.
Sometimes cranberries and lemon are also added for more flavor.
To make mulled apple cider, the apples are rinsed thoroughly and cored, there is no need to peel the skin. An apple cutter makes the task of coring apples a breeze.
However, if you don't have one, you can make four slices and then remove the core with the help of a knife.
Also, there is no need to remove the peels of oranges, they add a nice mild citrus flavor. The best way to cut the oranges for the cider is to rinse them thoroughly and cut them into halves and then each half into four parts.
What type of apples to use for apple cider?
Any kind of apple can be used to make apple cider. It is best to use a combination of sweet and tart apples like Gala, Granny Smith, honey crisp, and red apples to have a balanced flavor.
If you happen to go apple picking and have a variety of apples then this mulled apple cider is a must-try! You will enjoy the bursting flavors and warmth of the spices.
How to make apple cider in instant pot?
Making apple cider at home from scratch is not difficult as you might think. In fact, once you prepare the apples, it is a fairly easy dump-and-go process.
In the instant pot liner, put all the ingredients, except the sweetener, and fill it up with water. You want to ensure it does not cross the max line in the instant pot liner.
Lock the lid and pressure cook for 15 minutes on high-pressure mode. Let the pressure release naturally for 10 minutes and then release the remaining pressure.
Add your preferred sweetener like maple syrup, honey, brown sugar, or just sugar as per your taste. I like to use the agave nectar which has a low glycemic index.
How to serve hot apple cider?
Spiced apple cider is a perfect fall beverage if you are hosting a party as you can make it ahead of time.
I love the fact that you can turn the "keep warm" setting on the instant pot and it will keep the spiced apple cider warm for the entire time.
Fall evenings are well spent while sipping this flavorful warm drink and having a cozy time with your family by the side of the fireplace.
How long can you keep mulled apple cider?
A 6 qt. makes a large batch of spiced apple cider for your family and guests to enjoy. If you have any leftover cider then you can easily store it in the fridge for 7-8 days.
Can cold apple cider be heated?
Yes! Once you store the apple cider in the fridge, you can enjoy it warm or cold. Although warm apple cider tastes more flavorful.
The refrigerated spiced apple cider can be reheated in the microwave or brought to a boil on the stovetop or in the instant pot and served hot!
If you enjoyed this recipe, you may also like
- Pumpkin spice ice cream
- Pumpkin bread rolls
- Salted caramel ice cream
- Pasta soup
- Mixed bean soup
- Quinoa soup
Don't forget to rate the recipe by clicking the stars. Also, pin the recipe by clicking the "Pin" button, for your future reference.
Spiced Apple Cider | Mulled Apple Cider In Instant Pot
- 4 lb Apples (8-10 count - 2 Granny Smith, 2 Honey Crisp, 3 Red Apples, and 3 Gala Apples)
- 2 count Oranges (cut into about 8 pieces or slices each)
- 8 cup Water (adjust as needed)
- 1 inch Ginger (sliced)
To be added later
- ⅓ cup Blue Agave sweetener (or sweetener of choice)
- Cut and core the apples into 4-8 slices using an apple cutter or a knife.
- Put all the ingredients, except the sweetener, in the instant pot liner.
- While adding water ensure it does not cross the max line.
- Lock the lid and pressure cook for 15 minutes on high-pressure mode. Turn the keep warm setting on.
- Let the pressure release naturally for 10 minutes and then release the remaining pressure manually by moving the pressure release knob to the venting position.
- Using a potato masher, mash up the apples and oranges.
- With the help of a ladle, pour the pulp into a bowl lined with a strainer.
- Press the pulp gently to allow as much liquid to be extracted.
- Add the sweetener to taste.
- An apple cutter comes in very handy to cut and core the apples.
- You can also allow all the pressure to be released naturally.
- You can use the sweetener of your choice. Add the sweetener at the last so that you can adjust it based on how sweet the apples are.