Wow! It is fall now and you see all the fall favorites around you. Pumpkin is one of the most popular flavors and I enjoy making a variety of recipes.
I make dinner rolls very often, especially with pav bhaji, which is my kid's favorite. So I decided to make pumpkin bread rolls this time. I also added pumpkin spice for flavor.
They were an absolute hit and turned out very soft and fluffy.
Ingredients for soft fluffy pumpkin dinner rolls
Light, fluffy, and pillow-soft vegan pumpkin dinner rolls can be easily made at home with basic pantry ingredients.
You want to ensure you are using pumpkin puree and not pumpkin pie mix. Also, pumpkin spice is optional but it adds a nice aroma and flavor to the dinner rolls.
Finally, once the rolls are baked, you can apply some butter and optionally sprinkle some sea salt for a savory flavor.
How to make pumpkin bread rolls?
Homemade pumpkin rolls are soft, fluffy, and absolutely delicious. They are very easy to make.
Just like other leavened bread, these homemade rolls require three steps - first to make the dough, then shape the dough and allow it to rise, and finally baking.
The dough for pumpkin bread rolls can be easily made in a bread machine or using a stand mixer.
Personally, I like to make the dough in the bread machine. It requires placing all the wet and dry ingredients in the order recommended by the manufacturer and then starting the dough cycle.
It is always best to weigh the flour instead of using a measuring cup. This not only gives consistent results but ensures you don't end up adding too much flour by scooping directly from a flour bag.
For more details, you can check out how to make dough in a bread machine.
Once the dough cycle is complete, the dough would have risen and gone through the first rise. Remove the dough to a lightly floured surface and knead it for a few seconds.
Divide the rolls into equal size pieces, about 60 grams each, and make smooth balls. To make a smooth ball, tuck all the edges on one side to get the top side smooth.
Place the balls in a tray, about an inch apart, and allow them to rise for about 60-90 minutes.
In cold weather, you can warm the oven for about 5 minutes and allow the rolls to go through the final rise in a warm oven.
Once they have doubled in volume, preheat the oven to 350 °F and bake them for 20 minutes. They will become golden in color.
With the help of a basting brush, apply some butter or vegan butter and optionally sprinkle a little sea salt on the bread rolls.
How long to bake pumpkin dinner rolls?
Pumpkin bread rolls are baked in a preheated oven at 350 °F for 20 minutes. They will be golden in color.
As you do not want the rolls to brown too much you can keep the rack a level or two below the middle one. If it is too close to the heating element then the rolls will brown too fast.
What to serve with pumpkin bread?
Fresh and hot pumpkin bread rolls taste absolutely delicious with a dash of butter and sea salt. It is a great way to add more nutrition to the bread.
How do you store pumpkin bread rolls?
Homemade bread is best when served fresh. Just like most homemade bread, pumpkin bread rolls can be stored at room temperature in an air-tight container or a bread box for up to 4 days.
If you plan to keep them longer then it is best to freeze them. In fact, you can always make pumpkin bread rolls ahead of time and freeze them after they have cooled down completely.
When you are ready to serve, you can simply put it in the oven at 325 °F for about 10-12 minutes.
If you enjoyed this recipe, you may also like
Don't forget to rate the recipe by clicking the stars. Also, pin the recipe by clicking the "Pin" button, for your future reference.
Pumpkin Bread Rolls (Vegan)
- Convection Oven
- ½ cup Water (room temperature)
- 4 tbsp Oil
- 1 cup Pumpkin puree (228 grams)
- 1 tbsp Butter (vegan butter can be used)
- ⅛ tsp Sea Salt (optional)
- Add the wet and dry ingredients in the bread machine container in the order recommended by your bread machine manufacturer.
- Close the lid and select the "Dough" cycle.
- Once the dough cycle completes, remove the dough on a lightly floured surface and knead for a few seconds.
- Divide the dough into 15 equal pieces of about 60 grams each
- Roll each of the pieces into a smooth ball and place them on a baking tray, an inch apart.
- For the second rise, cover the tray with another tray and place in a warm place or in an oven. Optionally, start the oven on "Warm" mode for 5 minutes and then turn it off.
- After about 60 minutes the balls will rise and double in volume.
- Preheat oven to 350 °F with the rack one level lower than middle.
- Bake the pumpkin rolls for about 20 minutes or until they turn golden brown.
- Remove the tray from the oven.
- For a shiny glaze, apply some butter on the dinner rolls while they are hot. Optionally, sprinkle some sea salt.
- This recipe can also be modified by replacing water with milk.
- The dough can also be kneaded in a stand mixer and then proved in the oven for about 1 hour before shaping into rolls.
- Keep the rack at lower than mid level, else the rolls can become too brown.