Kulfi is Indian ice cream and a very sought after dessert. It can be made in various flavors like malai (cream), kesar (saffron), pista (pistachio), chikoo (sapota), mango and many more. Unlike ice creams, it is denser and creamier in texture.
What is kulfi made of?
Traditionally kulfi is made from reduced milk (attained by boiling milk until it becomes one third in quantity), sugar and condiments like cardamom and saffron. In this recipe three main ingredients are used
- Evaporated milk
- Heavy cream
What are the ingredients in kesar pista kulfi?
Apart from the three main ingredients - evaporated milk, heavy cream, and sugar, condiments like cardamom, saffron, and sliced pistachios are added to make kesar pista kulfi.
There is no need to boil milk and condensed milk or cornstarch is not required in this recipe.
How to make kulfi in ice cream maker?
It is very easy to make kulfi in an ice cream machine and I love making mine in the Cuisinart ICE-100 Compressor Ice Cream and Gelato Maker, it saves tonnes of time and effort. Check out this blog post on which ice cream maker to buy if you are interested in buying one for your family.
Then add the full cream and stir it about two-three times. At this point, add condiments like cardamom for malai kulfi, cardamom, and saffron for kesar or kesar pista kulfi.
Once chilled, mix it well and then pour the mixture into the ice cream maker canister. If you have the option of making gelato in the ice cream maker, you preferably want to use that as it makes dense ice cream.
How long does kulfi take to set?
Once the cycle is complete, freeze it in kulfi molds or a container for 6-8 hours before serving. For a good consistency, kulfi should be frozen at about -5 deg F.
Serving suggestions for kulfi
Kulfi can be served like popsicles or ice cream scoops. Kulfi is commonly served with boiled vermicelli, known as falooda.
Don't forget to check out these dessert recipes
- 15+ Ice cream maker recipes
- Mango cheesecake ice cream
- Sizzling brownie with ice cream
- Eggless Graham Cracker ice cream
- Anjeer Kulfi
- Cake pops
- Gluten-free chocolate chip cookies
Don't forget to rate the recipe by clicking the stars. Also, pin the recipe by clicking the "Pin" button, for your future reference.
Kesar Pista Kulfi in Ice Cream Maker
- Add the heavy cream and cardamom and mix it. Do not whisk at this stage
- Add the saffron strands and refrigerate the mixture for atleast 2 hours.
- Mix the ingredients well and the mixture will have a golden color from the saffron.
- Pour the ingredients into the ice cream machine container.
- Start the ice cream machine for 35 mins, preferably on the gelato setting.
- Add in the pistachios at about 25 mins or as per manufacturer instructions for add-ins.
- Kulfi is ready and is of soft serve consistency. It can be stored in an air tight container or kulfi moulds for a firmer consistency. Freeze the kulfi in container at -5 deg F for 6-8 hrs.
If you want to learn more about various ice cream makers available, take a moment to read my blog on choosing the right ice cream maker.