Pumpkin cupcakes are a great dessert for the fall. The delicious pumpkin flavor with warmth of pumpkin pie spice makes it a pleasant treat for your friends and family.
You can decorate them as per your choice and make a spooky treat for Halloween party. These pumpkin cakes are made with no eggs. This is an easy recipe to make moist pumpkin cupcakes at home.
Pumpkin cupcakes are easy to make at home. You will need pumpkin puree, either homemade or store-bought. If you are using store-bought one then look for cans which say pumpkin or pumpkin puree, you don't have to buy pumpkin pie filling.
As these cupcakes are made without eggs, you will also need baking soda and baking powder as leavening agents. All-purpose flour, organic cane sugar, pumpkin pie spice, vanilla extract, milk, and oil are the other basic pantry ingredients.
For icing, store bought cream cheese icing will work or you can make it at home using cream cheese, heavy cream, and icing sugar.
For decoration, googly eyes, sprinkles, cupcake liners, and other Halloween related props can be used.
To make pumpkin cupcakes, first make a smooth batter by mixing all the wet and dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl. You can use a stand mixer bowl and the wire attachment to mix everything on medium speed.
While mixing, scrape the sides of the bowl with a spatula to ensure that all the ingredients get mixed well.
Ingredients to make pumpkin cupcakes.
Add wet ingredients to the bowl.
The batter must be smooth, free of any lumps, and of dropping consistency. If the batter is runny you can add a little flour and if it is too thick you can adjust the consistency by adding some milk.
Add dry ingredients to the bowl.
Mix well to form a batter without any lumps.
Preheat the oven to 350°F with the rack on the middle level. While the oven is preheating, line a muffin pan with cupcake liners, preferably Halloween theme ones. Fill the cupcake liners about ⅔rd with the pumpkin cupcake batter.
Once the oven is preheated, bake the cupcakes in the oven for about 18 minutes at the temperature of 350°F. Insert a toothpick or a butter knife to test for doneness. If they come out clean that is an indication that the cupcakes are baked, else you can bake them for a few more minutes until done.
Fill cupcake liners about to ⅔rd level.
Bake cupcakes at 350°F.
Let the cupcakes rest in the muffin pan for a few minutes until they cool down a little bit and then transfer them onto a cooling wire rack.
Once they cool down completely apply cream cheese frosting or butter cream frosting. Decorate them with googly eyes and colorful sprinkles. You can also add orange, purple, or black food color to the icing to go with Halloween theme.
Once the cup cakes cool down completely, apply the cream cheese frosting or butter cream frosting. You can use food color to make frosting of orange, green, purple, black, or any other color for Halloween.
Apply sprinkles and decorate with googly eyes and more decoration of your choice. To add more flavor, sprinkle some pumpkin spice on the frosting.
- Frosting - you can use buttercream frosting instead of cream cheese frosting.
- Sprinkles - you can skip them or decorate the cupcakes as per your liking.
- Nuts - add some nuts to make pumpkin muffins and you can skip the frosting.
To make pumpkin cupcakes you will need an electric mixer like a hand mixer or a stand mixer. I like to use my 5 qt. KitchenAid bowl lift stand mixer with the wire attachment. A hand blender with a whisk attachment will work well too.
A muffin pan lined with cupcake liners, preferably Halloween cupcake liners if you are making them for Halloween themed event.
Pumpkin cupcakes can be stored at room temperature for 2-3 days. If you want to store them longer you can freeze them without the frosting. Let them thaw at room temperature or defrost in the microwave and then apply icing before eating them.
Looking for other recipes like this? Try these:
Don't forget to rate the recipe by clicking the stars. Also, pin the recipe by clicking the "Pin" button, for your future reference.
Pumpkin Cupcakes for Halloween
Cream cheese frosting
- Sprinkles (as needed)
Make pumpkin cupcakes
- Add all the wet and dry ingredients in a large bowl or the mixing bowl of stand mixer.1 cup Pumpkin puree, ½ cup Milk, ⅓ cup Oil, ½ teaspoon Vanilla extract, 1 teaspoon Vinegar, 2 cup All purpose flour, 1 cup Organic cane sugar, 1 teaspoon Baking Soda, 1 teaspoon Baking powder, 1 pinch Salt, 1 tablespoon Pumpkin pie spice
- Blend everything well using the wire attachment of stand mixer or hand mixer.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Line the muffin pan with cupcake liners.
- Fill the cupcake liners about ¾th of capacity.
- Bake at 350°F for 18 minutes.
- Remove the baking tray from the oven.
- Allow it to cool down completely.
Make cream cheese frosting
- Mix all ingredients with a hand blender until smooth and fluffy. (This takes 2-3 minutes)4 oz Cream cheese, 4 tablespoon Butter, 1 cup Icing sugar, 1 teaspoon Vanilla extract
- Put the frosting in a piping bag and decorate the cups as per your liking.
- Apply sprinkles, googly eyes, and other decorations
- It is best to weigh the flour using a digital food scale and sift the flour for consistent results.