Raw mango chutney, known as "launji", is a sweet, sour and spicy pickle made from raw mangoes and spices. It goes well as a side with any Indian dish. Mango chutney has an aromatic flavor, has a very refreshing taste and is easily made in the instant pot.
How to select mangoes to make mango chutney?
To make launji you need to select raw mangoes which should feel hard when pressed. The mangoes should be washed well and then peeled with a peeler. Chop the raw mangoes to make cubes of about an inch in size.
How to make mango chutney in instant pot?
The instant pot simplifies the process of making mango chutney to a great extent as you don't need to monitor it all time.
First use the "Saute" mode to temper all the whole spices (dried red chilies, nigella seeds, fennel seeds, cumin seeds) in oil. Then add the cubed mango pieces, sugar, salt, and red chili powder and mix well.
There is no need to add any water in this recipe as the sugar and the moisture in the mangoes will suffice for the right consistency for the chutney.
Mix the contents and close the instant pot lid and put it on "Pressure" mode on high setting for about 4 minutes. This should be enough to melt the sugar and release the juice from raw mangoes and cook it.
After doing a natural release, allow the
How to serve sweet-spicy raw mango chutney?
How to store mango chutney?
You can store raw mango chutney for about a month in the refrigerator in an air tight container.
Don't forget to check out these recipes
Don't forget to rate the recipe by clicking the stars. Also, pin the recipe by clicking the "Pin" button, for your future reference.
Instant Pot Mango Chutney (Launji)
- 2 raw mangoes medium size, peeled and cubed
- ½ cup Organic cane sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp oil
- Press "Saute" mode in Instant pot. Add the oil.
- When it shows "Hot", add the cumin seeds and let them crackle. Add the whole dried pepper, onion seeds (nigella seeds), fennel seeds and mix well.
- Add the chopped raw mangoes, sugar, salt and red pepper powder and give it a good mix.
- Press "Cancel" to come out of "Saute" mode. Cover the lid and start the "Pressure" mode and vent in "Sealing" position for 4 minutes. Select the Pressure Level to be "Low"
- Let the pressure release naturally. Open the lid and let the chutney cool down. Do not mix else it can become mushy.
- Transfer in a clean bowl. It can be refrigerated for 2-3 weeks. Serving size is about 1-2 tbsp.