A vegetable-grilled sandwich is a perfect meal for busy weeknights. It can be made with vegetables of your choice. This is a recipe for a popular Mumbai or Bombay grilled sandwich which is also a famous Indian street food.
It is loaded with veggies, and the spicy green chutney or mint chutney adds flavor along with some chaat masala or sandwich masala.
You can serve it as a snack, appetizer, or for meal. You can pack it for lunch or to enjoy it while on a road trip.
This Mumbai-style vegetable grilled sandwich requires a few basic ingredients. You will need sandwich bread slices. White bread, milk bread, French bread, or sourdough bread can be used. I have used homemade basic white bread for this recipe.
Vegetables like cucumber, tomatoes, boiled potatoes, boiled beets, bell pepper, and onions are sliced. For enhancing flavor, some salt, pepper, and chaat masala or sandwich masala are sprinkled.
Green chutney makes the sandwich spicy. You can make it at home or use store bought one.
Making a veg grilled sandwich at home is very easy. First, prep all the ingredients. Boil the beets in the Instant Pot and cook the potatoes in the microwave. You can use store-bought green chutney or make it at home.
Ensure that the beets and potatoes have cooled down a little before you start making the sandwich.
Apply butter and green chutney on one of the bread slices. Then place the cucumbers, beets, and potatoes in layers. Sprinkle some chaat masala or sandwich masala, salt, and pepper on each of the layers.
Veggies for a grilled sandwich.
Ingredients for a grilled sandwich.
Now place the bell pepper slices, onion slices, and tomato slices in layers on top of the second bread slice. Sprinkle some chaat masala, salt, and pepper as per taste.
Add some grated cheese on top of the veggies. Finally, apply butter and chutney on the third slice and place it on top of the cheese.
Preheat the panini grill and apply some butter on the grill where you will place the sandwich and on top of the sandwich slice. Place the sandwich on the panini grill or on a pan or skillet.
Layer veggies and spices.
Layer veggies and spices.
Once it is golden brown, the grilled sandwich is ready. Transfer it to a cooling rack and let it cool down for a few minutes. Cut the sandwich and slice it into the desired number of pieces.
Sprinkle grated cheese.
Grill the sandwich in panini maker.
You can enjoy this Mumbai grilled veggie sandwich with some tomato ketchup and green chutney. You can grate some more cheese and sprinkle it on the sandwich.
It is a perfect tea-time snack, appetizer, and meal that even picky eaters will enjoy. You can serve it with soups, pasta, mac and cheese, or just by itself.
You can make the below variations to this grilled vegetable sandwich recipe
- Spicy - apply more green chutney to the sandwich and make the chutney spicier as well.
- 2-layer - instead of 3 layer sandwich, you can just use 2 bread slices.
- Air fryer - you can make the grilled sandwich in the air fryer too.
- Jain diet - skip the onions, beetroots, and potatoes.
- Vegan - use vegan butter and skip the cheese or use vegan cheese instead.
To make a vegetable grilled sandwich you will need a sharp knife to cut thin slices of vegetables. The sandwich is grilled in the panini maker. If you do not have a panini maker, you can also grill it on the stovetop using a pan or a skillet.
If you have any leftover grilled sandwiches, you can store them in an airtight container and then store them in the refrigerator for 1-2 days. You can eat them cold or reheat them n the microwave or in the air fryer.
You can also make 2 layer sandwich instead of 3 layers, just don't add the bread slice in the middle.
For reheating leftovers, it is best to reheat them in the air fryer to get their crispiness back.
Looking for other recipes like this? Try these:
These are my favorite dishes to serve with a vegetable grilled sandwich:
Don't forget to rate the recipe by clicking the stars. Also, pin the recipe by clicking the "Pin" button, for your future reference.
Vegetable Grilled Sandwich
- Panini grill
- 3 slices Bread
- 1 tablespoon Butter
- 1 tablespoon Green chutney
- 4 slices Bell pepper
- 1 small Cucumber (peeled, sliced)
- 4 slices Onion
- 6 slices Tomato
- 4 slices Beet (boiled and peeled)
- 6 slices Potato (boiled and peeled)
- ⅓ cup Cheese (cheddar, grated)
Spices for sprinkling
- ¼ teaspoon Pepper (to taste)
- ¼ teaspoon Salt (to taste)
- ¼ teaspoon Chaat masala (to taste)
- Take one slice of bread and apply butter and chutney on top of it.
- Place sliced cucumbers and sprinkle chaat masala, salt, and pepper.
- Place beets and sprinkle chaat masala, salt, and pepper.
- Place potatoes and sprinkle chaat masala, salt, and pepper.
- Take another slice of bread, apply butter on one side, and chutney on the other.
- Place it on top of the arranged slice.
- Place sliced bell peppers and sprinkle chaat masala, salt, and pepper.
- Place sliced tomatoes and sprinkle chaat masala, salt, and pepper.
- Place sliced onions and sprinkle chaat masala, salt, and pepper.
- Sprinkle cheese on top of it.
- Apply butter and chutney to the third bread slice and put it on the cheese.
- Preheat the panini grill.
- Apply some butter on the panini grill and place the sandwich on it.
- Apply some butter on the top of the sandwich.
- Grill the vegetable sandwich for 4-5 minutes or until it is golden brown.
Leave a Reply