Portobello mushroom pizza is a perfect choice for pizza lovers who are looking for gluten-free or low-carb options. They taste delicious and can be served as an appetizer or a side dish.
The best thing is that you can make it with your favorite toppings and it takes very little time and effort to make these portobello mushroom pizza in air fryer.
Making portobello pizza at home requires few basic ingredients. You will need portobello mushroom caps, pizza sauce, your favorite toppings, seasoning, and mozzarella cheese.
I like to use vegetables toppings like sliced bell pepper, diced onions, diced baby corn, black olives, spinach, and fresh basil. You can use what you like and adapt the recipe to your taste.
It is best to use mozzarella cheese as it melts well. But you can also use a cheese blend or add some cheddar or pepper jack cheese.
Finally, for seasoning, you can sprinkle some Italian seasoning or oregano, and chili flakes.
It takes only a few minutes to make portobello pizza in the air fryer. First, rinse the portobello mushroom caps with water to get rid of any dirt and tap them dry with a paper towel. Remove the stem and scoop the inside of the mushrooms with a spoon.
Apply some olive oil on the inside of the mushrooms and spread it evenly with a basting brush. Sprinkle some salt and then put some pizza sauce or marinara sauce inside the mushrooms and apply it evenly.
Put your favorite pizza toppings on the sauce. Place the mushrooms in the air fryer basket after preheating the air fryer to 380°F. Air fry the portobello pizza for a total of 12 minutes. After about 8 minutes, sprinkle some grated mozzarella cheese and then continue air frying for the remaining 4 minutes.
Once the cheese has melted and become golden brown in color, mushroom pizzas are ready. Transfer them to a serving tray with the help of a spatula. Sprinkle some Italian seasoning or red pepper flakes for some spiciness.
Portobello mushroom pizza can be served as an appetizer or a side dish. You can serve it with pasta, noodles, mac and cheese, mashed potatoes, frozen asparagus, green beans, or some hot soup during cold days.
You can easily adapt this gluten-free mushroom pizza to your taste.
- Spicy - add chili pepper flakes while serving for a spicy flavor.
- Vegan - use vegan cheese to make vegan portobello pizza.
I have made these portobello mushroom pizzas in the 4 qt. Instant Vortex Plus air fryer. They can be made in any air fryer, an oven style or the basket style. Depending on the size of the air fryer you can make more or less number of pizzas at a time.
You will also need a basting brush to coat olive oil inside the portobello mushrooms.
It is best to eat the portobello pizza once it is cooked. After it cools down, it can release some moisture and end up being soggy so it is advisable not to make it ahead of time.
However, if you end up having any leftover mushroom pizzas, you can store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 1-2 days. When you are ready to eat it, you can reheat it in the air fryer at 350°F for a minute or reheat it in the microwave.
It is best to cook the portobello mushroom pizza without the cheese and add the cheese towards the end. This will prevent the cheese from getting overcooked and will ensure the veggies and mushrooms are well-cooked.
Looking for other recipes like this? Try these:
These are my favorite dishes to serve with portobello mushroom pizza:
Don't forget to rate the recipe by clicking the stars. Also, pin the recipe by clicking the "Pin" button, for your future reference.
Air Fryer Portobello Mushroom Pizza
- ⅓ cup Pizza sauce (or more if needed)
- 2 tablespoon Olives (sliced)
- 2 tablespoon Baby Corn (diced)
- 2 tablespoon Onion (sliced)
- ¼ cup Bell pepper (sliced)
- ¼ cup Mozzarella cheese (shredded)
To be applied after cooking.
- ⅛ teaspoon Italian seasoning (as per taste)
- ⅛ teaspoon Chili flakes (as per taste)
- Rinse the mushrooms and get rid of any dirt. Pat dry them.2 large Portobello mushroom
- Remove the stem and scoop the inside of the mushrooms.
- Preheat the air fryer to 380°F.
- Apply olive oil on the inside of the mushrooms.1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- Sprinkle some salt inside the mushrooms and spread it with a basting brush.⅛ teaspoon Salt
- Spread the pizza sauce on each of the portobello mushrooms with the help of a spoon.⅓ cup Pizza sauce
- Apply the veggie toppings on top of the sauce on the mushrooms.2 tablespoon Olives, 2 tablespoon Baby Corn, 2 tablespoon Onion, ¼ cup Bell pepper
- Air fry the mushrooms without adding cheese for 12 minutes at 380°F.
- Open the basket after about 8 minutes and sprinkle the cheese over the veggies.¼ cup Mozzarella cheese
- Close the basket and air fry for the remaining time(4 minutes).
- Check the mushroom pizza after and the cheese should be melted and golden brown. If needed, air fry for another minute.
- Gently remove the portobello mushroom pizza from the air fryer basket with the help of a spatula.
- Sprinkle the seasoning of your choice.⅛ teaspoon Italian seasoning, ⅛ teaspoon Chili flakes
- You can use toppings of your choice
Leave a Reply