Broccoli cheddar soup is a very popular soup, especially from Panera bread. You can easily make this soup at home in the instant pot and enjoy it with some sourdough bread, or a bread bowl. It is a perfect comfort food on a cold chilly day!
This is a gluten-free recipe for a vegetarian homemade broccoli cheddar soup with no flour added as a thickener. This soup can be made in the instant pot in 30 minutes with fresh or frozen broccoli florets.
- What is broccoli cheddar soup made of?
- How to make broccoli cheddar soup in instant pot?
- How long to cook broccoli cheddar soup in instant pot?
- How can I thicken my broccoli cheese soup?
- What to serve with broccoli cheese soup?
- How long will broccoli cheese soup last in the fridge?
- Can you freeze broccoli cheese soup?
- 📖 Recipe
What is broccoli cheddar soup made of?
This gluten-free, homemade broccoli cheddar soup is made with very few ingredients. Vegetables including broccoli, julienne carrots, diced celery, onion, and garlic are used. Both, fresh or frozen broccoli florets can be used to make this soup.
This soup is savory, creamy and cheesy in taste. It does not need many spices. Infact, some minced garlic, and pepper are enough to give the flavor. You really want to taste the cheese and broccoli in this soup.
Grated cheddar cheese and heavy cream are added to give it the taste and thickness. Mild cheddar, sharp cheddar, or a combination of both will work well. It is preferred to use block cheese and grate it yourself rather than using the pre-shredded cheese.
This soup is thick and you may really not need any thickener. However, if you want, you can add a few spoons of cornstarch slurry to get the desired thickness.
How to make broccoli cheddar soup in instant pot?
This homemade broccoli cheddar cheese is very easy to make. The first step is to add all the ingredients including broccoli florets, onion, garlic, carrots, celery, low sodium vegetable stock, and salt to the instant pot liner.
Cook on high-pressure mode for 5 minutes with the pressure knob in the sealing position and then perform a quick release by moving the pressure knob in the venting position until the silver pin drops.
With the help of an immersion blender, blend the soup in the instant pot liner coarsely and add the grated cheese and mix well until it is dissolved. Add the heavy cream, pepper, and adjust salt to taste.
The soup should be of a thick consistency and you really don't need to add anything else to make it thick. However, in case you want it thicker, you can make a cornstarch slurry by mixing cold water and cornstarch and add it spoon by spoon into the hot soup until you get the desired consistency.
How long to cook broccoli cheddar soup in instant pot?
Once you dump all the ingredients into the instant pot liner, cook the soup on the high-pressure mode for 5 minutes followed by a quick release. The instant pot will take about 15 minutes to come to full pressure.
How can I thicken my broccoli cheese soup?
Once you add the grated cheddar cheese and the heavy cream, the broccoli soup will thicken. However, if you want to make it thicker, you can add some more grated cheese until a desired consistency is reached.
Another gluten-free option to thicken the soup is to add a cornstarch slurry after adding the cheese and heavy cream. But it is really optional and not really needed.
What to serve with broccoli cheese soup?
How long will broccoli cheese soup last in the fridge?
Any leftover broccoli cheese soup can be stored in the fridge for 3-4 days. When you are ready to eat, simply reheat it in the microwave, stove top, or on the saute mode in the instant pot.
You can always make this soup ahead of time and refrigerate it if you are planning to make it for an event or a special occasion. You can reheat it just before serving.
Can you freeze broccoli cheese soup?
Yes! You can freeze broccoli cheese soup. However, when reheating, it may not retain its texture and flavor. So it is best to consume it in 3-4 days of making.
If you are planning to make this soup in advance for meal planning and freeze it, you can pressure cook all the ingredients except cheese and cream. Allow the soup to cool down completely and then portion it and freeze it.
When you are ready to serve, you can reheat the soup and at this point add the grated cheese and cream once it is heated. Optionally, you can add some cornstarch slurry to thicken the soup, if needed.
Don't forget to rate the recipe by clicking the stars. Also, pin the recipe by clicking the "Pin" button, for your future reference.
Broccoli Cheddar Soup In Instant Pot
For pressure cooking
- 4 cup Broccoli florets (fresh or frozen)
- 1 cup Onion (chopped)
- 1 count Carrot (large, julienne cut)
- 2 count Celery (diced)
- 1 ½ teaspoon Salt
- 2 tablespoon Garlic (minced)
- 4 cup Vegetable stock (low sodium, or water)
To be added after pressure cooking
- 2 cup Cheddar cheese (sharp, grated)
- 1 cup Heavy cream
- ½ teaspoon Black pepper
Optional - cornstarch slurry
- 1 tablespoon Corn starch
- 3 tablespoon Water
- Add all the ingredients from the list "for pressure cooking" in the instant pot liner.
- Close and lock the lid.
- Cook on high-pressure mode for 5 minutes with the pressure knob in the sealing position.
- Perform a quick release by moving the pressure knob in the venting position until the silver pin drops.
- With the help of an immersion blender, blend the soup in the instant pot liner. You can leave some chunks if you prefer.
- Add the grated cheese and mix well until it is dissolved.
- Add the heavy cream, pepper, and adjust salt to taste.
- Mix well.
- To make it vegan, you can replace the heavy cream with coconut milk.
- If you are using frozen broccoli, just rinse it in water to get rid of any ice crystals.