Cabbage soup is a delicious soup loaded with vegetables. It is served as an appetizer or a meal and is also very comforting when you are under the weather. It is a low carb soup which is rich in Vitamin A and Vitamin C.
This is a vegan and gluten-free cabbage soup recipe that can be made in under 30 minutes in an electric pressure cooker like the Instant Pot or on the stove top.
It is really very easy to make this vegetarian cabbage soup and it can be made ahead of time for meal prep. It can be seasoned as per your taste.
This Instant Pot cabbage soup recipe is savory, mildly spicy in taste, and made with no oil. It is made with fresh vegetables like carrots, green cabbage, onion, celery, potato, diced tomatoes, and any other veggie can be added.
Chopped garlic, bay leaf, and Italian seasoning adds a lot of flavor to the soup. To make it spicy, some red pepper flakes can be added. It is best to use a low sodium vegetable stock to make it just like other instant pot soup recipes.
This vegetable cabbage soup can be easily made in the Instant pot or on the stove top which will need some monitoring.
Making the cabbage soup in the Instant Pot is very easy, it is a dump and go process. Add the vegetables, vegetable stock, garlic, bay leaf, Italian seasoning, and salt in the Instant Pot liner, and give it a quick stir.
Pressure cook on high pressure mode for 5 minutes. Instant Pot will take some time to come to pressure and then count down to 5 minutes.
Allow the pressure to release naturally for 10 minutes and then perform a manual release by moving the pressure release knob to the venting position until the silver pin drops.
Add some pepper and adjust salt to taste. To make it spicy, you can add red pepper flakes or sriracha sauce.
To make the vegetable cabbage soup on the stove top, take a large pot and add the veggies, vegetable broth, seasoning, and salt.
Let it boil on medium-high heat until the veggies and cabbage leaves are tender. This can take up to 30 minutes. Add some pepper and adjust salt while serving.
It is a versatile soup and you can use veggies of your choice like green beans and bell pepper.
Some chili sauce and red pepper flakes make the soup spicy and you can adjust the amount as well based on how spicy you want the soup to be.
Instead of fresh tomatoes you can use canned fire roasted tomatoes to add more flavor.
It can be served with sliced or toasted French bread, white bread, garlic bread, sourdough bread, bread sticks, or garlic knots. You can also serve it with some toast, grilled cheese, mac and cheese, or veggie sides like roasted broccoli and air-fried mushrooms.
While making it on the stove top, a large pot of at least 5 qt. capacity is ideal to make this soup.
Cabbage soup can be stored in the fridge for 4-5 days in an airtight container. You can make this soup ahead of time for meal planning. When you are ready to serve, simply reheat the soup in the microwave, stove top, or in the Instant Pot.
When you are ready to eat, you can thaw it in the microwave or keep the container in the refrigerator overnight and then reheat it.
Don't forget to rate the recipe by clicking the stars. Also, pin the recipe by clicking the "Pin" button, for your future reference.
Instant Pot Cabbage Soup
- 1 tablespoon Garlic (chopped)
- 1 Onion (small, chopped)
- 2 Carrots (large, peeled, and diced)
- 2 Tomato (large, chopped)
- 2 stalk Celery (diced)
- 1 Potato (medium size, cubed to 1 inch pieces)
- ½ head Cabbage (chopped)
- 5 cup Vegetable stock (or water)
To be added later
- ½ teaspoon Pepper (more if needed)
- Put all the ingredients except pepper into the Instant Pot liner.
- Give it a quick mix.
- Close and lock the lid with the pressure-release knob in the sealing position.
- Pressure cook on high-pressure mode for 5 minutes. (keep the warm setting on)
- Let the pressure release naturally for 10 minutes.
- Perform a manual release by moving the pressure knob to the venting position.
- Adjust salt, add pepper, and more seasoning as per taste.
- You can use veggies of your choice like bell pepper and green beans.
- Some chili sauce and pepper make the soup spicy and you can adjust the amount as well.
- To make the soup on the stove top, boil all the ingredients in a large pot on medium heat for about 30 minutes or until all the veggies are tender.