It is summertime and I have been making lots of ice creams! I just churned the three classic flavors of Neapolitan ice cream in my Cuisinart ice cream maker and decided to make this classic banana split ice cream.
A banana split ice cream sundae is a great dessert to enjoy your favorite ice creams with some fresh fruits. This mouthwatering and irresistible sundae can surely cheer you up and make your special days more fun.
What is banana split?
Banana split is famous ice cream with bananas. This dessert is made with different flavors of ice creams served with a split banana and topped with sauces and nuts.
A classic banana split sundae is made with the 3 Neapolitan ice cream flavors - vanilla, chocolate, and strawberry. The ice cream scoops are arranged between a banana, split length-wise and hence the name - banana split.
It is a great dessert for all but especially for a couple to celebrate special days like anniversaries, birthdays, or Valentine's Day. We also love enjoying this sundae on Sundays 🙂
Banana split ingredients
Vanilla, strawberry, and chocolate ice creams are the main flavors that go into the making of a classic banana split. However, this dessert is very versatile and you can very much use any of your favorite ice cream flavors. Cookies and cream, graham cracker ice cream, and coffee ice cream are some of my family favorites.
Personally, I like to make my own eggless ice creams in my ice cream maker, but you can very well use the store-bought ones.
The dessert is garnished with fruits, toppings, whipped cream, nuts, and finally a maraschino cherry.
How to make banana split?
Carefully Split a banana lengthwise and place it preferably in an oval dish. Place a scoop of ice cream of each of the three flavors between the split banana.
To make homemade banana split ice cream, it is best to use homemade ice creams. But you can always use the store-bought ice creams too. An ice cream maker would make the job of making the ice creams a breeze!
Check out which ice cream maker to buy for your family's needs. I love my Cuisinart compressor ice cream maker as I can churn the 3 flavors of vanilla, strawberry, and chocolate ice creams all in one day!
Put some crushed pineapple on top of vanilla ice cream, sliced strawberries on strawberry ice cream. Pour some chocolate sauce on the dessert in a zig-zag manner.
Top the dessert with some nuts followed by whipped cream and a maraschino cherry on each of the scoops.
What kind of nuts go on a banana split?
I personally like to use chopped walnuts and cashew nuts. However other nuts like peanuts and pecans can be used to add crunch to this irresistible dessert!
What are the toppings for banana split?
The classic banana split ice cream with vanilla, strawberry, and chocolate ice creams are topped with crushed pineapple, chocolate sauce, sliced strawberry topping.
If you do not have the strawberry topping you can use fresh sliced strawberries or even a spoonful of strawberry jam.
Chocolate sauce can also be easily made at home if you have some melting chocolate chips. Just melt the chocolate chips as per direction and mix well after adding a few tablespoons of milk.
If you enjoyed this recipe, you may also like
Don't forget to rate the recipe by clicking the stars. Also, pin the recipe by clicking the "Pin" button, for your future reference.
Banana Split Sundae Recipe
- 1 scoop Vanilla ice cream
- 1 scoop Chocolate ice cream
- 1 scoop Strawberry ice cream
- 1 count Banana (split lengthwise)
- 1 tablespoon Cashews (or peanuts, chopped)
- 1 tablespoon Walnuts (chopped)
- 2 tablespoon Pineapple (crushed)
- 2 tablespoon Strawberry topping (or fresh strawberries)
- 2 tablespoon Chocolate sauce
- Heavy Whipped Cream
- 3 count Maraschino cherry
- In an oval dish, place the split banana on two sides.
- Place the ice cream scoops in between the banana.
- Add crushed pineapple on top of the vanilla ice cream.
- Pour some strawberry topping or slices on top of the strawberry ice cream.
- Gently pour the chocolate sauce overall in a zig-zag pattern.
- Sprinkle the nuts over the ice cream scoops.
- Top each ice cream with whipped cream and a cherry.
Make your own chocolate sauce (optional)
- Melt ¼ cup of melting chocolate in the microwave as per directions on the package.
- Add 2-3 tablespoon milk and mix well until it becomes a smooth chocolate sauce.
Leave a Reply